When you walk into a Korean restaurant, there will always be Kimchi served as a side dish. Alternatively, you can also purchase them at retails for quite a hefty price tag. Well, ever thought of making your own Kimchi at home? If you’re up for it, then check out this recipe. Let’s go!
Kimchi Recipe: A Step-By-Step Guide To Make Kimchi At Home
Although the recipe requires quite a number of steps and time, but imagine the satisfaction once you successfully make your own Kimchi. It’s feasting Kimchi while binging your favourite K-drama. Let’s get started.
- 3 Napa Cabbage
- Sesame Seeds
- Fish Sauce
- Anchovies Cubes
- 2 Apples (cut int cubes)
- Carrots (sliced into strips)
- Spring onion (sliced)
- Bidan Red Pepper Powder
- Wash thoroughly the Napa cabbage (alternatively, you can also replace with other vegetables like Japanese cucumber, white radish or bean sprouts.
- Slather the cabbage generously with salt (it is to kill any germs or insects and to soften the cabbage)
3. Then, add in some water and let the cabbage marinate in saltwater for a minimum of 6 hours
4. Next, wash off excess salt from the cabbage
5. In a pot, put in a plate upside down and the cabbage upside down with the lid closed for a minimum of 6 hours (to drain out excess water from the cabbage)
6. Cut the cabbage into the desired size
- In a blender, add in apples, garlic, ginger slices, vinegar, fish sauce, anchovies stock cubes and then blend them well (don’t add in water)
2. In a separate bowl, add in the cabbage, sliced carrots and spring onions then add in the blended marinade
3. Add in some sesame seeds and Bidan red pepper powder (Korean chilli flakes)
4. Mix all the ingredients well
5. Transfer them into containers (for best taste, leave them in containers for 3 days before consuming)
Have Fun Trying Out This Kimchi Recipe At Home!
So there you have it guys! This is a step-by-step guide to making your very own Kimchi at home. Once you’re done, you can enjoy it on its own, or use it to make Kimchi Stew, Fried Rice, and more. How versatile! Have fun making!
We would like to invite you to join our New Private Community Group! Here you are free to ask questions, share your love for food, and explore the Penang community! We will also regularly post about casual promos and latest findings.
Click on the button below and hunt good food with us today!