One of the most popular sweet snack in Penang, you’ll often find Muah Chee in the hawker centre or in a pushcart. Similar to mochi, Muah Chee has a bouncier texture and are more simplified in terms of flavors. For example, peanut, black sesame and pandan. Although, you can definitely mix and match your own flavors. So try making this easy Muah Chee recipe using only a few ingredients!
Try Making This 4-Step Muah Chee Recipe at Home:
- 5tbsp sesame seeds
- 50g peanuts
- 80g sugar
- 5tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp oil (preferably shallot or sesame oil)
- 10g corn starch
- 120g glutinous rice flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 200ml water
- Toast sesame seeds and peanuts separately. Crush/blend them after toasting. After that, mix 50g sugar with black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds and peanuts according to the ratio of 2:1 each. This will prepare three different flavours. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add corn flour, glutinous rice flour, 30g sugar, salt and mix evenly. Then, pour water and oil into the bowl. Using a spoon, mix batter thoroughly until salt dissolves.
- Steam batter in a steaming pan or plate for 15 minutes. Check if the batter is ready by using a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, then muah chee dough is ready.
- Using a pair of chopsticks, continuously stir the muah chee dough until it reaches a springy consistency. Then, cut or pinch dough into bite-sized pieces and coat with sugar and sesame/peanuts mixture. Ready to serve.
Tips For a Bouncy Muah Chee:
The crucial step for a perfectly springy Muah Chee lies right after steaming the batter. It is important to keep stirring the batter right after it’s being removed from the heat to ensure the best consistency. It is also highly recommended to use shallot oil for a fragant Muah Chee. You can definitely make your own flavor (pandan, mango, durian and etc) by adding the flavoring at step 2.
Foodies, try recreating this Muah Chee recipe at home! They’re super simple to make and it saves you the hassle of driving out to tapao one. Don’t forget to share this recipe to your friends, happy making and buh bye!
Recipe Courtesy of : Nyonya Cooking (website)
We would like to invite you to join our New Private Community Group! Here you are free to ask questions, share your love for food, and explore the Penang community! We will also regularly post about casual promos and latest findings.
Click on the button below and hunt good food with us today!