With the ongoing pandemic, Malaysians are encouraged to keep up with their personal hygiene. This includes washing and sanitizing hands regularly, but how can anyone know if a sanitizer brand is safe to use? The Health Sciences Authority (HSA) of Singapore has recently recalled 18 sanitizers, this includes products from Lifebuoy, Walch, Guardian and more.
18 Hand Sanitizers Products Recalled Due to Excessive Amount of Methanol:
It is recommended to use hand sanitizers with at least 60% ethanol alcohol or 70% isopropanol. However, 18 hand sanitizers from 9 brands are recalled due to excessive amount of methanol/ acetaldehyde. Ethanol and methanol might sound similar, but they’re two complete different things.
Though both are colourless liquid, methanol can be toxic if absorbed by the body. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said methanol is not an acceptable ingredient for hand sanitizers and should not be used due to its toxic effects.
These 18 hand sanitizers that were recalled contain acetaldehyde and/or methanol at levels above the pharmaceutical pharmacopeia limit. HSA however, did mention that there’s no serious health risk linked.
Here’s the full list of hand sanitizers recalled:
- Lifebuoy Instant Hand Sanitizer (Batch: OD13UL)
- Guardian Lavender & Passion Flower Antibacterial Hand Sanitiser (Batch: 9K28DF)
- Guardian Aloe & Korean-Mint Antibacterial Hand Sanitiser (Batch: 0D32DF)
- Walch® Instant Hand Sanitizer (Batch: TG01)
- Cath Kidston® Moisturising Hand Sanitiser (all batches)
- Asepso™ Professional Hand Sanitiser (Batch: B42M)
- Cuticura Hand Sanitizer (all batches)
- Epi KleenGel Hand Sanitizer Gel (all batches)
- Kundal Fresh Water Hand Sanitizer+ (Batch: BN227)
- Sanitelle® Instant Hand Sanitizer Antiseptic Gel Kids (all batches)
- 红月亮® Redmoon 抑菌免水净手凝胶 Bacteriostat Wash Free Hand Wash Gel (all batches)
- We11 Daily Instant Hand Sanitiser (all batches)
- Cool Day’s Peppermint Instant Hand Sanitizer (all batches)
- TP 706 Hand Sanitiser (Exp: 10/03/2022)
- FairPrice Hand Sanitiser Lavender (Batch: 201251-001)
- germ-X® Advanced Hand Sanitizer Original Scent (all batches)
- Sanigen Gel Hand Refreshing Gel 600ml (all batches)
- Yuri® Hand Gel Green Tea Extract (all batches)
Foodies, check if your hand sanitizers match with the brands and batch numbers above. If yes, we suggest to stop using them and look for alternatives. That’s all, take care and buh bye!
Source: MS NEWS
We would like to invite you to join our New Private Community Group! Here you are free to ask questions, share your love for food, and explore the Penang community! We will also regularly post about casual promos and the latest findings.
Click on the button below and hunt good food with us today!